 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10390
Re: Steve H, C$, me learning C Brick OS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:47:55 GMT

Rob Stehlik wrote:

Its actually not THAT hard.

YES IT IS!!!!

Alright, alright. I admit installing BrickOS is a royal pain. I guess after
doing it a couple times I got the hang of it. Remember I used BrickOS way back
in the days of project X... and I used it again for later robots.

If I can figure it out, then anyone can.

OH, your one to talk. MR. I'm not entering C$!!!

Well, I just meant that I am not a computer programmer, I know nothing about
unix... And I figured it out. There are a couple sets of instructions out there
for installing BrickOS on windows. I found John Hansen's to be the best.

what OS are you using?

W2000, which is probably why John Hansen's files worked for me.

What OS is michael running.

I think he's running W98 or W95.

The real question is why do you need BrickOS in the first place? Wouldn't NQC
handle the Rnd(7) code just fine? I'm being serious. I would actually like to
see how well a completely random approach does in C4. In the firefighting
competition that I entered last year, the winner's robot operated on a
completely random behaviour. Rather than follow a planned route through the
rooms, it simply drove around really fast and reacted to what it came across. So
if it crashed into a wall, it would turn around and go the other way. If it saw
the flame, it would slow down and extinguish it. It was so unpredictable that
sometimes it never found the flame, and other times it found it in 10 seconds.
Sometimes reactive control is a while lot simpler and more effective in
robotics. I guess C4 is a very controlled environment, so the random thing may
not work so well, as Steve H has shown. But you could boast about how easy your
program was to write and how much sleep you got the night before...

Rob