 Off-Topic / Fun / 10803
  Monday Morning Diversion

What's the worst film that you ever saw in a first-run, full-price theater? Or, if you can manage it, how about the top five worst? Here's my list, in ascending order of foulness: Superman IV Striptease Robocop II Highlander II Howard the Duck I (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) Hands down, Demons ((URL) Worst. Film. Ever. 2 hours, I'm *still* lamenting about never getting back. -Evil Wayne BTW, I sort of liked Howard the Duck. (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) I've been fortunate in that I've very rarely picked a movie to watch that I truly abhored. Rarely, but not never. Hmmm...lessee: 5. Star Trek: Nemesis 4. The Fifth Element 3. Batman Forever 2. Wing Commander (I mostly watched it for the TPM (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) I like The Fifth Element, though I accept that it's darned goofy, and the "love is the answer" bit *is* pretty weak. Wing Commander--good call. I didn't see that one in the theater, but you're right that it's a major stinker. If I had to list (...) (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) Oh, my opinion of that film goes well beyond that tiny little point. I was twitching during the song-and-dance routine, my eyes were drawn to Gary Oldman's hideous costume like it was a 20 car pileup, the "perfect woman" badly needed (...) (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) Nonsense! Everything was true, especially the contradictory parts, which were also false! RE: Song-and-dance routine: You mean the Diva? Yeah, I don't have much to say about that, except to wonder if she's related to Bib Fortuna. I liked the (...) (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) I'm sick of trying to make sense of the Bricklink Brouhaha - and so what do I do? Talk about things that made me sick. The ones you mention are all awful, but I never actually paid to see them in a theatre. I'd rate at least the first two I (...) (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) I'm not talking about contradictory plot points, but contradictory themes. It's like watching a comedy series and catching those occassional tear-jerking episodes that make deeply profound statements...but without all of the funny episodes to (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) This is one of those goofy movies that if you take it seriously at all you'll just hate it. It's one of those bad movies that I enjoy. I find Mar Attacks hilarious, but most other people just absolutely despise it. I suppose you had to be a (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) For me, Mars Attacks suffers from too much Burton, but that's just a function of my elsewhere-articulated non-fondness for the man's directing. Still, I give it props (yo yo yo, check out my mad skills re: hiphop linguistics) for being (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) Do Trekkies include Star Trek: The Politically Correct Generation movies in the same numbering sequence? Was that the terrible one with the Shatner, or the not quite so terrible one with the Bore-g (let's not attack the humans because the (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) Three Words: Major League II Well actually I didn't see it in the theater. My buddies and I drove all the way to the theater to see it on opening night - and were greatly annoyed to find it completely sold out. I never did see it a the (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) I actually liked Mars Attacks, but I thought T5E tried to take itself too seriously, while at the same time trying to be light-hearted...with a deep philosophical message. It's theme is just to muddied and contradictory for me. (...) At what (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) Some do, but it mostly seems an attempt to apply the Even/Odd rule of ST movies (even=good, odd="my gorge doth rise"). (...) VII would be the cross-over movie, and VIII would be the one with the Geiger-Borg (man, I was peeved when they went (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) And after puzzling out that you meant The 5th Element...there was a deep philosphical message? (rhetorical alert) :-) (...) Pardon me, poor choice of words. "...landmark game in its time" is what I meant to say. Wing Commander the game was (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) The Shatner was in VII "Generations," in which he went head to head with Malcolm MacDowell for a bit of the old ultra-violence. (...) That's the one! I like them, even with their artificial drama. Maybe it's all the tubes and hoses. (...) In (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Wing Commander (Re: Monday Morning Diversion)

(...) Actually, I'm of the mind that WC is a real classic. It came out about the early 90's and it *was* a landmark. Graphics, sound, and most important: Plot. The missions you flew had a success or fail tree, so if you kept winning you drove the (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) There was an attempt at one (that's the whole point of the way the ending played out, and the name of the movie itself), though it fell pretty flat. (...) MST3K = Mystery Science Theatre 3000. They take all of the worst movies that they can (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) Well, few are the sci-fi films that successfully carry a deep philosophical message. The Star Wars OT, for instance, seemed to suggest that you can be as evil, sadistic, and murderous as you want, as long as you kill one bad guy before you (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) <snip> (...) <snip> (...) I'm sorry, but for my money, 6 was 'perfect' trek--as perfect as one could get in the Star Trek universe--you have the 'moral story' that Roddenberry liked to do, like eps--'A Private Little War' and the one with (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) I can't remember what the first two were in relation to, so pardon me if I think they were not memorable. The last was a self-parodying line that got laughs but cheapened the whole. Played to the Trekkies rather than it's own internal value. (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) One minor point that bothered me was how Ensign Slater just let himself into Capt. Sulu's quarters to wake Sulu, and how Kirk later just let himself into Spock's quarters. It all suggests a level of familiarity not customarily found on (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) I think it is a matter of perception. You regard it as a deep philsophical message, and perhaps that is a fair depiction of it, but I regarded it simply as a step back from trivializing it. The movie was uneven all the way through, so this was (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) The OT was constructed in the Epic tradition, with archetypal characters playing archetypal roles in an archetypal battle of Good vs. Evil. There's more to be found in the way the mythological pattern plays itself out than in any supposed deep (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler wrote: <snip> (...) Since we're talking Trek, let's talk about some of our favourite eps from TOS-- Corbomite Maneuver - was first season, which helps, and knowing that the kid is Richie Cunningham's older (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) No, I regard it as a failed attempt at a deep philosophical message. (...) I think that in this case it has more to do with how long and clumsy the title is. I've only watched a couple eps myself (not having access to Comedy Central, or (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) Sorry, I didn't type "failed attempt" in as I meant to. The point is that I don't agree with your assessment that they were trying to be deeply philosophical, but rather not simply frivolous. (...) 1. "Public Knowledge": The only people who (...) (20 years ago, 27-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Monday Morning Diversion

(...) My wife cruelly reminded me this weekend that I paid to see "Congo" in the theater, so that also has to make the list. I asked her which was the worst film she'd ever paid to see, and she immediately answered "Boxing Helena." Good call! And (...) (20 years ago, 27-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  A Prediction (Re: Monday Morning Diversion)

(...) Though all of these films are indeed irredeemably terrible, I predict that “Son of The Mask” will far exceed their combined awfulness. Who’s with me? Dave! (19 years ago, 17-Feb-05, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: A Prediction (Re: Monday Morning Diversion)

(...) Apparently, the staff at the distinguished (URL) Golden Raspberry Awards,> that's who! It's probably a safe bet that no one outside of the GRA and the immediate families of the cast and crew of the movie actually sat through it. It had at (...) (18 years ago, 30-Jan-06, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)