 Off-Topic / Fun / 10809
Re: Monday Morning Diversion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:32:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler wrote:
   What’s the worst film that you ever saw in a first-run, full-price theater?

Or, if you can manage it, how about the top five worst?

Here’s my list, in ascending order of foulness:

Superman IV Striptease Robocop II Highlander II Howard the Duck

I could list Attack of the Clones or The Phantom Menace, but IMO these suffered from specifc shortcomings rather than total systemic failure. You may dispute the order, but I call ‘em as I saw ‘em. Apparently I haven’t had a lot of luck with sequels.

Dave!

I’m sick of trying to make sense of the Bricklink Brouhaha - and so what do I do? Talk about things that made me sick.

The ones you mention are all awful, but I never actually paid to see them in a theatre. I’d rate at least the first two I mention as worse than any of those five, though.

As just mentioned elsewhere, Armageddon. A bunch of absolute blithering idiots are assigned to save the world. Written by idiots, with idiotic dialogue, grossly insulting “science”, idiotically acted by all parties with the exception of Billy Bob Thorton, with the biggest idiots being the director and me for letting a friend who’s taste I knew was dubious talk me in to seeing this noise.

The English Patient. This dreary drek got an Academy Award for best picture. An absolute howling bore with some beautiful cinematography and competent actors, but a bore nevertheless. Should the burnt toast (literally) main character be scraped and buttered or just tossed before he dies an agonzing death? I’d call this the Worst “Best” Picture ever.

Batman & Robin: My company paid for everyone to see this (movie day: it was the last one they had)! Thank God I didn’t spend my own money. The director managed to get bad performances out of Uma Thurman, Arnold Schwartzenegger (I mean, much worse than usual in his case), George Clooney, and just about everyone in this dud. The director’s pathetic attempt to camp it up a la the old TV series.

I can think of a lot of others, but I usually avoided seeing them at the theatres - I keep meaning to see Battlefield: Earth or The Avengers (it was a great TV series when Diana Rigg was on it) just to see if they are worse than Armageddon, but I’m always overwhelmed by apathy. Unfortunately, I did finally see The Wild, Wild West I tend not to count low-budget B movies, which are usually doomed from the word go, but might have some moments of unintentional hilarity.

-->Bruce<--