 Off-Topic / Fun / 10822
Re: Monday Morning Diversion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:44:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, David Laswell wrote:

<snip>

What?  No VI?  For the fact that I'm not a big fan of TOS, that's by far my
favorite Trek movie.  Maybe it's because my hair feels something of a kinship
with the ridge-headed Klingons...

No VI - they should have all retired.

<snip>

-->Bruce<--

I'm sorry, but for my money, 6 was 'perfect' trek--as perfect as one could get
in the Star Trek universe--you have the 'moral story' that Roddenberry liked to
do, like eps--'A Private Little War' and the one with General Order 24 and the
disintegration chambers...

The quotations were fantastic--"Still think we're finished?" "More than ever..."
or "I can't believe I kissed you!" "Must've been your life-long ambition"...

The link to the Klingons eventually coming into the Federation is there, and so
much more.

Speial effects were superb (after the dismal effects in 5) and it was a good way
to wrap up Kirk and crew and the 'ongoing mission...'

Next to the Spock/Sarek conversation in 4, this movie had more ties into the
series and the overall 'feel' of TOS than anything else...

All in my humble 'used-to-be-a-Trekkie' opinion.

Dave K
-not to mention Christopher Plummer--fellow Canadian, and Shatner--fellow
Canadian, doing their very best to 'out-Stratford' each other (for those that
know the reference to Stratford, and Plummer/Shatner's relationship to said
place... kudos...)