 Off-Topic / Fun / 10817
Re: Monday Morning Diversion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 06:42:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
This is one of those goofy movies that if you take it seriously at all you'll
just hate it.  It's one of those bad movies that I enjoy.  I find Mar Attacks
hilarious, but most other people just absolutely despise it.  I suppose you
had to be a kid in the 60's and collected the cards...

I actually liked Mars Attacks, but I thought T5E tried to take itself too
seriously, while at the same time trying to be light-hearted...with a deep
philosophical message.  It's theme is just to muddied and contradictory for me.

And after puzzling out that you meant The 5th Element...there was a deep
philosphical message?  (rhetorical alert)  :-)

Wing Commander may have been a landmark game at the time,

At what time?  When the original game was released or when the movie was
released and the Star Wars flight sims had pretty much stolen WC's thunder?

Pardon me, poor choice of words.  "...landmark game in its time" is what I meant
to say.  Wing Commander the game was pretty much a spent force by the time the
movie came out.

but this came on TV and I tried to prop my eyes open, but alas, I ended up
drowning out the soundtrack with my snores, so I can only call the part I
watched as boring.

There were barely any people in the theatre with us when we watched it on
opening night, and I probably would have MST3Ked it, •  but another group of my
friends showed up independantly of the group I was with, sat in the next row up
from us, and were actually there to watch the movie (and one of them had already
been pretty miffed at my constant ridiculing of the original Robotech series
when a group of us endured it during either fall or winter break at college).

MST3Ked?  Why do I get this feeling you have to be an Uber-Geek to get the
reference?  One of these days I'm going to have to learn to speak "Initial"...

You shot off your mouth through the entire movie?  No comment (something you
would do well to remember).  ;-)

Dungeons and Dragons did the same.

Never watched that one...or He-Man, for that matter.  Kinda wanted to at the
time (in both cases), but I have zero regret now for having missed them.  Same
with Titanic, which my ex and I missed out on due to me being drafted to ferry
two carloads of dorm residents (they sold out between the two trips).

The only one worth watching is II, maybe IV.

What?  No VI?  For the fact that I'm not a big fan of TOS, that's by far my
favorite Trek movie.  Maybe it's because my hair feels something of a kinship
with the ridge-headed Klingons...

No VI - they should have all retired.

Spiderman and Spiderman II are the new yardsticks now.  But certainly the
current trend for comic book characters goes to Burton's Batman.  It was a
step towards a darker and more complex character than the traditional Good
Guy in Bright Tights (->tIGHt<- tights!).

They may be the yardsticks that Hollywood measures them by, but Batman seems to
always pop up first whenever movie critics start talking about them.

I think that will change.  There needs to be a little distance in time to get
perspective.

And guys who are middle-aged now didn't have smurfs when they were young
(they were probably in high school or college at the time).

I suppose that depends on what you consider to be middle-aged.  The average
lifespan is still in the upper 70's, I believe (at least in the US), so the
middle third of a person's theoretical lifespan would start sometime in the
mid-20's and end shortly after hitting 50. •   Young middle-aged people (like
myself) were young kids when the Smurfs ruled the airwaves.  We're the same
group of people who literally grew up on Star Wars.

Generally held to start at 40 and run to 60.  It's a reference to adult life,
not overall life.

Clearly they watched a different release than the public did.  :-)

I was talking about the original trilogy, not the prequel trilogy (I'm not aware
of any stand-alone behind-the-scenes videos for the prequels, though I own one
for the OT and one just for ANH).  Is there any particular portion of the OT
dialogue that you felt "didn't work"?

I'm stunned that you even ask.

-->Bruce<--