 Off-Topic / Fun / 10823
Re: Monday Morning Diversion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:23:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, David Koudys wrote:

I'm sorry, but for my money, 6 was 'perfect' trek--as perfect as one could get
in the Star Trek universe--you have the 'moral story' that Roddenberry liked to
do, like eps--'A Private Little War' and the one with General Order 24 and the
disintegration chambers...

The quotations were fantastic--"Still think we're finished?" "More than ever..."
or "I can't believe I kissed you!" "Must've been your life-long ambition"...

I can't remember what the first two were in relation to, so pardon me if I think
they were not memorable.

The last was a self-parodying line that got laughs but cheapened the whole.
Played to the Trekkies rather than it's own internal value.  It's a line I'd
write for a Star Trek game, but not for a movie.

The link to the Klingons eventually coming into the Federation is there, and so
much more.

Speial effects were superb (after the dismal effects in 5) and it was a good way
to wrap up Kirk and crew and the 'ongoing mission...'

It was merely okay.  Nothing special - it was a better way to go out than the
abysmal V, but keeping the geriatric crew together at this point didn't make the
slightest ounce of sense (it's sad that fictional characters have to age along
with their actors, but there it is).  It was past time to let go (or recast
everyone).  I don't think I could survive another Grandma Fan Dance.

Dave K
-not to mention Christopher Plummer--fellow Canadian, and Shatner--fellow
Canadian, doing their very best to 'out-Stratford' each other (for those that
know the reference to Stratford, and Plummer/Shatner's relationship to said
place... kudos...)

I'd call it "Black Forest" each other.  And kudos to those who know I'm refering
to something you can find at the meat department of your local grocery store,
and not at a lumber yard.  ;-)

-->Bruce<--