 Off-Topic / Fun / 10821
Re: Monday Morning Diversion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:22:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
And after puzzling out that you meant The 5th Element...there was a deep
philosphical message?

There was an attempt at one (that's the whole point of the way the ending played
out, and the name of the movie itself), though it fell pretty flat.

Well, few are the sci-fi films that successfully carry a deep philosophical
message.  The Star Wars OT, for instance, seemed to suggest that you can be as
evil, sadistic, and murderous as you want, as long as you kill one bad guy
before you die.  After that, you're redeemed and get to exist as a happy ghost.
With precious few exceptions (Fifth Element not among them), science fiction
that attempts to preach tends to become almost instantly obsolete or else
irretrievably hokey (or both).

Really?  Granted, it's not Shakespeare, but in my experience, those who really
feel that the OT dialogue didn't work are those who didn't like the OT movies
much at all.

I like the OT, but I think the dialogue was very weak in many scenes.  It's not
a black/white question of worked/didn't work.  It's more a question of "can you
get past it enough to let the film work?"  For the OT I am able to do that, but
less so for the new pre-trilogy.  And I don't even think it's a matter of
nostalgia; the acting and the delivery are much more important for the
successful delivery of a line.

Dave!