 Off-Topic / Fun / 10812
Re: Monday Morning Diversion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:32:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

[The Fifth Element] is one of those goofy movies that if you take it seriously at all you'll
just hate it.  It's one of those bad movies that I enjoy.  I find Mar Attacks
hilarious, but most other people just absolutely despise it.  I suppose you had
to be a kid in the 60's and collected the cards...

For me, Mars Attacks suffers from too much Burton, but that's just a function of
my elsewhere-articulated non-fondness for the man's directing.  Still, I give it
props (yo yo yo, check out my mad skills re: hiphop linguistics) for being
successfully campy, rather than campily unsuccessful.

The only (Trek film) worth watching is II, maybe IV.  Anything that listed William
Shatner as a director had given fair warning and you deserved what you got if
you watched it.

I liked VIII about as much as II, with IV coming in close behind.  They might
not be great literature, but I find them to be the most enjoyable of the film
series.

The Dark Knight Returns was perhaps a spiritual revival of what Batman should
be, but the actual story seemed like nothing more than warmed over Dirty Harry.
Nor am I a fan of Miller's stylized art (but then, I loved Ditko's Spiderman and
Dr. Strange, so there's no accounting for taste, or maybe it's a function of
age).

Boy, you *are* old.  You're like ancient or something.  Did you call them "funny
books" in your youth?  And were they in black and white?

Now *there's* a segue.  I get tired of Miller's self-impressed art in Dark
Knight, but it works for me in the the black&white noir-ish "Sin City," (which
admittedly suffers from other shortcomings, cheesecake factor notwithstanding.)
By all means, avoid "The Dark Knight Cashes In Again," or whatever the awful
sequel series is called.  Dreadful dreadful dreadful.

I think "Dark Knight Returns" works for me because when I first read it there
hadn't yet been a lot of tha kind of psychological re-examination of the iconic
comic heroes.  Despite its debt to what I would later despise as Postmodernism,
I really enjoyed the retooling.

Spiderman and Spiderman II are the new yardsticks now.  But certainly the
current trend for comic book characters goes to Burton's Batman.  It was a step
towards a darker and more complex character than the traditional Good Guy in
Bright Tights (->tIGHt<- tights!).

At the risk of sycophancy, I'd have to credit Miller for this, too, since his
Dark Knight predated Burton's by three years.  For that matter, Alan Moore
should get a nod for "Watchmen."

My complaints about TPM are relatively few:
  1.  JarJar:  Hate him, hate him, hate him.  Nothing can sway me on this.

I've lost track of the number of people who said they used to think that very
same thing until they watched it in a theatre packed full of really little kids.
Jar-Jar hitting the screen is reportedly like pumping tranquilizers into the air
system.

It was hard to truly despise Jar-Jar when my son was rolling out of his chair
with laughter every time Jar-Jar was on the screen.  I find him annoying, but I
don't have the vehement blind hatred that others ascribe to him.

I purposely delayed having a child for 4.75 years so my son's potential reaction
to JarJar wouldn't unduly lessen my hatred of that step-and-fetch CGI minstrel
show reject.

By the way, you mentiond Armageddon as one of your worst films, and that's
certainly a top-tier steaming pile.  Somehow I let "Independence Day" out of my
list, which in retrospect seems an unforgiveable omission!

Dave!