 Off-Topic / Fun / 10806
Re: Monday Morning Diversion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:15:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler wrote:
What's the worst film that you ever saw in a first-run, full-price theater?

Or, if you can manage it, how about the top five worst?

I've been fortunate in that I've very rarely picked a movie to watch that I
truly abhored.  Rarely, but not never.  Hmmm...lessee:

5. Star Trek: Nemesis
4. The Fifth Element
3. Batman Forever
2. Wing Commander (I mostly watched it for the TPM trailer, so...)
1. Batman and Robin

I like The Fifth Element, though I accept that it's darned goofy, and the "love
is the answer" bit *is* pretty weak.

Wing Commander--good call.  I didn't see that one in the theater, but you're
right that it's a major stinker.

If I had to list a Star Trek film, it would probably be V.  I just can't watch
it.  I enjoyed Nemesis enough to list it as "not bad," but I agree that it
suffered from some major shortcomings.  Still, I liked the big battle scene.

Not only is that my top (bottom?) five, but it pretty much exhausts my ability
to recall bad movies that I've paid full fare for (as an avid Bat-fan, I've been
pointedly avoiding watching Berry's Cat-Ho, but eagerly anticipating the
impending release of Batman Begins).

Don't hate me, but I thought of listing Tim Burton's Batman.  I admit that I'm
not a fan of Burton, but even with that aside I was disappointed by the film.  I
had read Frank Miller's treatment of Batman in the years before Batman hit the
screen, and I wanted it to be so much more than it was.  I guess it wasn't
really bad, but it fell short of my hopes.  And it really cheeses me that
Burton's Batman is the yardstick by which all subsequent comic book films have
been measured.  Kudos for casting Nicholson, though.

And I'm in the group of people who really "got" TPM and AOTC, and feel that they
more failed to live up to over-inflated expectations than that they failed to
live up to the quality of the original trilogy (except for the AOTC Imax cut,
which screwed up the pacing and left weird gaps in the story...but was worth
watching once for the super-sized fight sequences).

I didn't get to see AOTC at Imax, but I hear that the battle was very impressive
on the uber-screen.  I think I get the plot okay, and I don't mind the politics,
so that's not too much of an obstacle for me.

My complaints about TPM are relatively few:
  1.  JarJar:  Hate him, hate him, hate him.  Nothing can sway me on this.
  2.  Jake Lloyd:  A cute enough kid, but he should have had more guidance
      from Lucas or from some kind of acting coach.

When I watch it and skip the main JarJar and Anakin scenes, it's not a bad film
at all, and I'd say that in that case it even holds up well to the original
three.

My complaints about AOTC are likewise pretty few:
  1.  Hayden Christiansen:  His whole Sociopathic Obsessive Love-
      Stalker performance was so overwrought as to be unwatchable
  2.  The Love Story:  Wholly unconvincing and generally creepy

Lucas has a real problem with writing convincing dialogue, but he's always been
that way; either you accept his writing or you don't.  Generally I can get past
it, except for rare moments that burst my tolerance: "Your skin is so soft, not
like sand."  Dear mercy, where's my airsickness bag when I need it?

Dave!