 Off-Topic / Fun / 10824
Re: Monday Morning Diversion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:35:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, David Koudys wrote:

   I’m sorry, but for my money, 6 was ‘perfect’ trek--as perfect as one could get in the Star Trek universe.

One minor point that bothered me was how Ensign Slater just let himself into Capt. Sulu’s quarters to wake Sulu, and how Kirk later just let himself into Spock’s quarters. It all suggests a level of familiarity not customarily found on military vessels. Spock and Kirk, maybe, but it’s still rude to bust in on someone while he’s meditating!

Oh, and another thing! When Lt. Valeris blasted the mashed potatoes with a phaser, thereby triggering the ship’s alarms, is it really likely that Uhura would race to the scene? Is it standard procedure for the Communications Officer to run to the galley to investigate unauthorized weapons fire? And why wouldn’t the ship detect phaser discharges on stun, especially if those discharges can be apparently as deadly as a disintegration?

And don’t 23rd Century transporters maintain any kind of log or trace? They should have been able to identify the assassins with ease!

And if you’re running a famously harsh prison colony, wouldn’t you search your prisoners for weapons, communicators, and tracer patches? The whole arrested, tried, sentenced, incarcerated, and rescued sequence (which took apparently less than 24 hours) was kind of hard to take, too.

I know, I know. It’s easy to spot errors when you want to. But some seem to stand out more glaringly than others.

   The quotations were fantastic--“Still think we’re finished?” “More than ever...” or “I can’t believe I kissed you!” “Must’ve been your life-long ambition”...

But the diarrhea of Shakespeare quotes quickly got out of hand, regardless of how much I like Christopher Plummer. Also, as a geeky English major, I’m always a little vexed when scriptwriters trot out the same famous handful of Shakespeare quotations, as if the man only penned two dozen lines. Let’s hear something evocative that *isn’t* among the most well-worn lines; if the audience doesn’t “get” them, poo-poo for the audience!

By the way: When General Chang saw the hot-rodded photon torpedo bearing down on him, King Lear’s “O untimely death!” would have been a more fitting line than Hamlet’s “To be or not to be.”

   The link to the Klingons eventually coming into the Federation is there, and so much more.

Speial effects were superb (after the dismal effects in 5) and it was a good way to wrap up Kirk and crew and the ‘ongoing mission...’

The battle between the Enterprise, the Excelsior, and the prototype bird-of-prey was very nicely executed.

Dave!