 Off-Topic / Fun / 10818
10817  |  10819
Subject:
Wing Commander (Re: Monday Morning Diversion)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:59:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
Wing Commander may have been a landmark game at the time,

At what time?  When the original game was released or when the movie was
released and the Star Wars flight sims had pretty much stolen WC's thunder?

Actually, I'm of the mind that WC is a real classic. It came out about the early
90's and it *was* a landmark. Graphics, sound, and most important: Plot. The
missions you flew had a success or fail tree, so if you kept winning you drove
the Kilrathi out of the Vega sector. If you kept loosing, it got harder and they
drove you out. Not to mention you got different wingmen and ships. You knew you
were loosing if you had Maniac on your side too many time.

But it went beyond that. You could interact with the various characters and
learned their back stories and more about the war as you went along. These were
things not really seen in video games at the time. I actually cared about those
characters and would sometimes go out of my way to save them. If your wingman
died on a mission, they stayed dead and you had to fly missions solo until he
got replaced.

I played that game soooo much that almost flunked some of classes...

That said, when the movie came out I was *very* forgiving of all it's flaws.
Wing Commander (game) holds a very special place in my heart. I played almost
all of the sequels. Including the Mark Hamill versions; WC: Prophecy was very
good, actually even if Hamill can't act his way out of a paper bag most of the
time.

In contrast, the X-Wing was pretty kick ass, but it's story was locked. If you
failed a mission, you had to restart it. Where's the realism there? Yes, it had
better graphics, yes it was a hoot to fly the trench run, but it had a static
feel as far as storyline went. You didn't really "meet" other characters or
interact in much way other than the objective.

I loved both games, and -in my mind- don't really see them as comparable. One
was an awesome space-fighter sim. The other was a story that was driven by the
combat missions you flew.

-Evil Wayne