 Off-Topic / Fun / 10825
Re: Monday Morning Diversion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:58:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
And after puzzling out that you meant The 5th Element...there was a deep
philosphical message?

There was an attempt at one (that's the whole point of the way the ending played
out, and the name of the movie itself), though it fell pretty flat.

I think it is a matter of perception.  You regard it as a deep philsophical
message, and perhaps that is a fair depiction of it, but I regarded it simply as
a step back from trivializing it.  The movie was uneven all the way through, so
this was not a break or make item for me.

MST3Ked?  Why do I get this feeling you have to be an Uber-Geek to get the
reference?  One of these days I'm going to have to learn to seak "Initial"...

MST3K = Mystery Science Theatre 3000.  They take all of the worst movies that
they can get their hands on and ridicule them from beginning to end.

Whew.  I don't have to withdraw the "Uber-Geek" comment.  I take it using an
obscure set of initials for an obscure program is an Uber-Geek identity test,
kinda like that secret sigh my Grandfather used to detect fellow Shriners?

(jusssssssssst teasing)
:-)

You shot off your mouth through the entire movie?

No.  I (along with others, including the owner's then-girlfriend) made several
witty comments and cutting observations during the entire original Robotech
series, which a small group of us were watching in the lobby of our dorm.  I
kept my observations to myself during the entire WC movie because I was sitting
right behind friends who had paid money in the meager hopes of actually enjoying
that movie in its own right.  If it had been anyone else, we probably wouldn't
have been sitting right next to each other (I don't think there were more than
10-20 people in the entire theatre...on opening night...at an evening show) and
we could have torn into it with no remorse, knowing that there were enough
vacant seats around us that we would be able to do so without anyone else
caring.

Of course, I failed to mention the ultra-cheap revival house I frequented in
college (you had to bring disposable shoes) where it was standard form to yell
things at the screen (but you had to be funny, or the audience yelled at you).
They cleaned it up finally and quadrupled the price and it wasn't fun anymore.

No VI - they should have all retired.

I liked it a lot.  Probably something to do with the fact that the Klingons were
so much better than Doktir Em'et B'roun from The Search For Plot.

It was okay.  It was a better way to end the original cast than the awful V.
But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone except a Trekkie.  II had a plot that
addressed the years that had passed, that philosphically loped back on itself
and tied together extremely well.  The ending to VI felt forced and artificial.

Honestly, Trek makes for better TV than Cinema.  It's designed for television.
Certainly Frakes directed his forays with the pacing and writing of an extended
TV episode.

I think that will change.  There needs to be a little distance in time to get
perspective.

Maybe it will, and maybe it won't.  Batman will still hold weight as the first
serious comic book movie, and it could receive an associative status boost from
Batman Begins.

I'm not saying that Batman will not still hold a place, just that it was been
eclipsed.

I'm stunned that you even ask.

Really?  Granted, it's not Shakespeare,

No matter how much Plummer quoted the Bard. :-)

but in my experience, those who really
feel that the OT dialogue didn't work are those who didn't like the OT movies
much at all.

Original Trek?  Off-Topic?  Odurous Trivializations?  Overly-cryptic
Televison-initials?

-->B<--