 Off-Topic / Fun / 10810
Re: Monday Morning Diversion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 04:51:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler wrote:
Nonsense!  Everything was true, especially the contradictory parts, which
were also false!

I'm not talking about contradictory plot points, but contradictory themes.  It's
like watching a comedy series and catching those occassional tear-jerking
episodes that make deeply profound statements...but without all of the funny
episodes to justify it being considered a comedy.  T5E tried to fit into far too
many genres at the same time.

RE: Song-and-dance routine:  You mean the Diva?

Uh, yeah, something like that.  Maybe it's just me, but I've never found myself
actually being impressed by anyone who's been publicly identified as a diva.

Yeah, I don't have much to say about that, except to wonder if she's related
to Bib Fortuna.

Nah, Bib had the good sense not to get into the singing business, and he was
only the "agent" *coughslave-buyercough* for the dancers.

I liked the rubbery bad guys, though I don't know why.

The last time I remember seeing a new movie with costumes that bad and liking
what I'd watched was when the first TMNT movie came out.  I was a lot younger
then, and I've grown out of liking those movies (especially in contrast with the
excellent new animated series).

And for some reason I loved Gary Oldman in the role, costume included.

I hated his character so much that I was actually dreading seeing him act again
the next time I watched a movie that he starred in.

I don't know.  I think it could have been cool, but it really wasn't
necessary to create a brother-race from scratch.

It was if you wanted to work the cultural joke into the movie.  It's humor value
ranking into the negative numbers, following that line of reasoning seems to
have been a pretty poor choice.  It's about on the same level of giving Picard a
movie love interest who teaches him some "god-card" trick, only to have him use
it for no other purpose than to save her life...and then never see her again
on-screen.

I mean, Federation Space has a ton of non-human races, so why can't the
Romulan Star Empire have a few non-Romulan races?  No need to make it a big
secret.

I'd make a joke about them finding out that the Klingons and Romulans were
actually related, but I think I remember a TNG episode where it was revealed
that all of the main races were seeded on their home planets from the same
parent species.  Well, except the Romulans, who are really just angry Vulcans
who relocated.

I'm hoping that the new Batman film kind of follows the Year One storyline,
though I don't actually know anything about the film's story (other than
that it takes place in his early days).

I don't believe it will actually be based off of Year One (the villain has been
identified as the Scarecrow, not the Reaper), but it has been stated that it
will actually cover his origins.  Year One-ish, if you will.

A Dark Knight Returns film would be awesome, if done correctly.

*drool*  That's the problem, though.  To do it correctly, it'd probably have to
be animated with actual Frank Miller artwork, rather than some live-action
hack-job.

Had DC followed through with its Batman vs. Superman script, I wonder what
we'd have seen?

Heh.  Batman kicking Superman's butt, I'm guessing.

That's a pretty good assessment.  I'd be happy if Spiderman could take over
the mantle at this point, but I guess I have to accept the inertia of film to
resolve itself at its own pace.

I wouldn't.  I pointedly avoided watching it for three very big reasons.  I
don't like any version of Spiderman except Miguel O'hara.  I don't like Tobey
McGuire's catatonic "acting".  And even while watching a zoomed-out view of the
first movie playing on Ebert & Roeper's movie screen on my 13" TV, I thought the
CGI Spiderman looked like it was being flung around like a rag doll.  No way I
was ever shelling out money for that.

But an even bigger worry is why did Padme only really fall for him after
he'd murdered dozens of men, women, and children?

Pity?  That and a near-complete lack of experience with romantic liasons.

That speaks volumes about her, too (though I admit that I could be
delightfully surprised if her odd choice works successfully into the plot of
EPIII).

I'm guessing we'll probably see her do a 180 by the time the Ep3 credits start
rolling.  That or she'll die, and Obi-Wan will rescue the kids.