 Off-Topic / Debate / 995
Re: Genocide and terrorism (Was: SW <-> Russia conspiracy)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 18:57:06 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Libertarian Macho Flash is a saying we have in the party. It's an
acknowledgement that we often make statements that we believe to be
correct, that when made in a well supported chain of argument may be
perfectly reasonable, but when made "baldly" tend to make people shake
their heads and say "what a bunch of wackos".

I've seen these stated along with calmly well supported chains of logic
and the listeners still shake their heads.

Ya. I hear you. We have an argument against that, though.

If you believe it, I'd be interested to hear it.

Another point, I never thought Jesse Ventura would be elected. So I was
hopeful. Now that he is, he's inexorably turning into just another
politician, though. So I'm saddened. (note: he is not in the LP but if
you examine his pre election rhetoric, you'd have a hard time telling
that)

Sure, new blood gets in, but has to work with the system.  Who will
change whom?  Will the new blood rub off on the huge entrenched machine
of corruption, or will the reverse take place?  There is no winning
answer.  A government of the complexity needed to run a political entity
the size of one of our states is simply too large.  I figure a burbclave
is about as big as it should get.

I'm not a 1000 dollar a week supporter or anything but I do give money,
push the party line, and vote the LP ticket consistently. I have
participated in petition drives for ballot access but that is
exhausting.

If you don't vote LP, how can you vote demopublican? I can't hold my
nose long enough.

I have donated time collecting signatures here in mid-Missouri to get LP
on ballot, but never any money.

I vote like this:

If I know the candidates or issue, I vote based on the individual
   elseif there includes a tax hike, I vote against
      elseif there is an LP candidate, I vote for them
         elseif there is a female candidate, I vote for them
            elseif there is a republican candidate, I vote for them
               else it doesn't matter what I do.

I live in a county predominated by democrats, so I favor republicans.  I
have voted about half and half Republican and LP for presidential
candidates during my life.  LP gets my votes on local elections almost
exclusively.  I also patronize LP-owned businesses when there is no
reason not to.

I won't go to their meetings because they won't do it in a smoke free
environment, and 90% of them seem to smoke like a chimney.  (Rand
worship?)  I also find that they cling to the pathetically optimistic
notion that eventually they'll get someone elected.  Maybe they should
recruit pro wrestlers.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks