 Off-Topic / Debate / 912
Re: Genocide and terrorism (Was: SW <-> Russia conspiracy)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 17:13:40 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
The US is not the world's policeman.

Ah, but we are.  As a nation with the economic, military and technological
capability, it is our responsibility as a nation to do what we can to
preserve peace.  (1)  Our actions in Kosovo can only lengthen the conflict
and turn other nations against us.

An AK-47
is a lot cheaper than a cruise missile and a lot less likely to kill
innocents.

However, no other weapon can do what a cruise missile does so well -- to
deter the public eye from the White House's internal problems.

The US and the rest of europe have no business interfering in internal
affairs AS GOVERNMENTS. They should let private citizens do as they
wish, though, to aid the warring factions as they choose.

This thought reminds me of what the CIA did for most of the Cold War --
training rebels and funding insurrections.  But even that philosophy has
more honor than our current foreign policy.

[...ealier from post...]
Too bad the KLA can't just go buy weapons on the open market.

If only.  I don't think anyone would argue that this is one area where these
tools of destruction really perform well.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Note that the key concept here is to preserve peace.  Ike, JFK, LBJ,
Reagan and crew somehow managed to pervert that into destroying Communism,
and fifty years of arms escalation was the result.

May the Force be with y'all.