 Off-Topic / Debate / 913
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 17:58:07 GMT

James Brown wrote:

OK, who decides who needs to be armed?  By what criteria?  And armed to what
extent?

The free citizens who are guaranteed the right to arm themselves make
that decision for themselves.  Probably sounds wacko in today's
society, but I'd say let the people who want to own firearms do so and
let those who don't want them not own them.

I've been trying to stay away from this thread, but I can't just let this slide
by.
I do not want to own a gun, but if I lived in an area where guns were commonly
available (as in your suggestion above), I would likely need to get one.  Why?
The simple availability of them would necessitate, that for my own protection,
I would need one.

If you live in the US (do you?) guns are readily available to criminals.
When I was in highschool (roughly 1985-6) I was periferally associated
with a group of kids who brought guns from Texas to Missouri and sold
them to other kids at a huge profit.  I don't know the details of how
they got them, but I know that the 800 miles they travelled was worth
it.  Are guns readily available anywhere within 800 miles of your location?

I live in an area that has a low level of violence, and fairly strict gun
control laws.  Odds are that the average criminal that would be likely to
invade my home will not have a firearm.  So, to protect myself from said

I suspect that the average robber (in the US) has a gun...he may not
bring it to your house though.

criminal, I need a fairly minimal level of personal combat training, and the
willingness to use it.  Depending on the amount of training I have, I may want

No matter what, an encounter involves personal risk.  By having a gun at
your disposal you can dump more of the risk on the intruder and minimize
the risk to yourself.  If you enter a knife fight, you can still die,
and who's to say that you're better trained and more brutal than your opponent?

access to a melee weapon of some sort - likely a club or a knife.
If I were to live in an area with minimal to no gun control laws (as you seem
to be suggesting - my apologies if I am mistaken) - the odds are that anyone
likey to invade my home would have a firearm - which means I am at a serious
disadvantage, regardless of how good I am in a fistfight.  Therefore, I would
need to own a gun, for my own protection, despite my unwillingness to do so.

On the other hand, if you have a gun, you are more versatile.  You can
deal with intruders who also have a gun, which you can't do with a bat
or a knife, and you're still equipped to deal with a knife-weilding
thug, but better so than without the gun.

When any weapon is freely available, the ones who are first to have it,
generally, are those who want to use it, either for intimidation purposes, or
for violence.  Others who wish to maintain their freedom then need to acquire

They'll have it anyway.

said weapon, or be at a disadvantage.  Typically speaking, the first variety
will (assuming the option is available), upgrade to the next weapon that will
give them the advantage again, and the cycle will continue.

OK, so in what way is it continuing?  Intruders may have big guns, I can
have a big gun.  Do you suggest that they're then going to start
burglarizing with kevlar vests and AKs?  I don't see that happening.

remains that you need a firearm for protection, and I need a baseball bat.  An

Most people don't need (i.e. have never needed, thus far) anything for protection.

invasion of your home would likely involve a fatality, an invasion of mine
would likely not.  I would guess that the odds of either being a successful
invasion are about equal, since we are both prepared for the most likely
eventuality.

But with a gun, I'm prepared for all eventualities, and you are simply not.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA