 Off-Topic / Debate / 981
Re: Genocide and terrorism (Was: SW <-> Russia conspiracy)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 00:30:52 GMT

Christopher L. Weeks wrote in message
<3742C448.E0830844@cclabs.missouri.edu>...
John DiRienzo wrote:

Does this include how you relate to your literal brother or sister • (assuming
you're not an only child)?  How about parents, spouse, children, • cousins,

   Yes, for me it includes any of the above.  My family is made up of
productive people, so fortunately I have not been in the position where I
had to take care of my brother.  I would not loan money to my brother if • he
needed it because of his own irresponsibility.  I would let him suffer • the
consequences of his actions and learn from his mistakes - a far better
choice than letting him become dependent on me.  I would not coddle him • in

What if your child got in over his head gambling and owed a wad to the
mob.  You could pay his debt and keep him alive, but you didn't really
believe that he'd learn.  What if it could incurr significant hardship
for you?  What if it would be trivial for you?

   This is an extreme example, and I certainly hope it never happens.  I
would pay the debt because I would see it as my own.  A child is completely
different than any one else.  This does not mean he is exempt from my rules.
Just as I am 100% responsible for my own actions, I am also responsible for
the actions of my (theoretical) children.  In the US these days, people try
to make children some one else's responsibilty, but not me.  I want the best
for him, so I take that responsibility myself.  People do learn from
mistakes and I am fully aware he will make many.  I will help him through
them.  When he is mature enough to fully understand my beliefs, he will be
expected to act as a man himself - to be responsible for himself.  He will
be required to earn my trust and respect, as anyone else is.  If he violates
me too much, I will have no choice but to disown him - I don't know, but I
doubt this will ever happen, and would be enormously difficult.

   I was.  If we could make our image look good to the rest of the world,
which is something we value too much, it might be a good thing to do. • But
we won't; we will look no better, perhaps worse.

I agree with all points here.  I think we are doomed to fail.  If we
weren't it _might_ make sense.  And we value it way WAY too much.

   Thank you.
--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks