 Off-Topic / Debate / 926
Re: Genocide and terrorism (Was: SW <-> Russia conspiracy)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 23:58:01 GMT

Sproaticus wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
The US is not the world's policeman.

Ah, but we are.  As a nation with the economic, military and technological
capability, it is our responsibility as a nation to do what we can to
preserve peace.  (1)

Disagree. We are not our brother's keeper. Not as people, not as a
nation. Where a preemptive strike against evil serves a clear national
interest, maybe. (1) But not here, or in Somalia, or Haiti, or Grenada
or even in Iraq...

"Honest friendship with all who seek it, entangling alliances with
none."
Good policy when Jefferson was president, good policy now.

1 - Our entry in WW2 was justified(2). Way late, in fact, Germany almost
got the bomb. Should not have stopped at the Rhine, either, Patton was
right, we could have saved a lot of treasure if we had put an end to
Soviet evil while we had the chance.

2- OTOH, some argue that WW2 would never have happened if we had not
entered WW1, since WW1 would have ended in a draw and Germany would
never have been raped by Versailles and thus Hitler would never have
risen. There were no clear good guys in WW1 by that analysis. But that's
alternate history, who knows for sure.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.