 Off-Topic / Debate / 930
Re: Genocide and terrorism (Was: SW <-> Russia conspiracy)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 01:53:52 GMT

Sproaticus wrote:

Is your "hands-off" approach a
tenet of Libertarianism, or have you learned it from other sources?

Libertarianism doesn't speak to it directly except to say that if you
feel you're your brother's keeper, that is fine, keep on keeping, but
that does not mean that everyone has to contribute to support your sense
of obligation. Hence, my taxes should not support your view that we are
the world's policeman or sugar daddy. (if you have such a view)
Libertarianism is a political movement first and a philosophy second, if
at all. You have to read the platform, planks and polemics to glean
morals... and that's a moral question.

I personally am morally at least partly an Objectivist. I've spoken
against being a keeper before here, do a search for altruism to find the
posts. Being your brother's keeper means that you're obligated to help
him no matter what his moral shortcomings. I just don't personally buy
that obligation.

Agreement about Somalia, Haiti, and Iraq.  However, some American issues
were at hand in Granada (mostly saving a handful of American "college
students" and Stopping Communism).

If you leave the borders of the US, I feel you are on your own. The US
obligation to assist you in protecting your rights (which the US
rejects, see my rants about the police being able to blow off responding
to your 911s) ends at the border. Heck, it doesn't seem to exist inside
the border.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Panama.

I was merely giving examples, but that's a good one. Being exhaustive is
exhausting, we meddle way too much.

I was under the impression that our entry into WW2 was mostly motivated by
conflict our allies (mainly Britain) were currently having.  Justifying our
actions afterhand is nice, but we had few clues about the effects of nuclear
weapons before we entered the war.

Other than Einstein telling us about it, which was a pretty good clue,
I'd say. We entered late. We should have entered as soon as it became
clear that Hitler could win if he got lucky and that he was practicing
genocide. (note only one of the criteria fits Kosovo, Milosevic won't be
invading France or New Jersey (1) any time soon, and properly
arming/equiping the KLA will shut him down in a hurry...)

1 - more's the pity. I've been to New Jersey and he can have it.
FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.