 Off-Topic / Debate / 974
Re: Genocide and terrorism (Was: SW <-> Russia conspiracy)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 17:28:37 GMT

Sproaticus <jsproat@geocities.com> wrote:
Does this include how you relate to your literal brother or sister (assuming
you're not an only child)?  How about parents, spouse, children, cousins,
cow-orkers, strangers on the street, mass murderers, presidential
candidates, parents-in-law, etc.?  Surely at some point, you draw the line
and say "I am keeper of X, but not Y".

In a sense, yes, in a sense, no.  While I am certainly more inclined
to sacrifice to help members of my family, I am not their keeper.  If
my little brother were to fall on hard times and need a place to stay
I'd let him stay with me for a while.  But he wouldn't stay for ever,
nor would he stay for free.  He'd help with the chores around my home,
maybe even more than my wife and I.

My duty is to my wife and to myself above everyone and everything
else.

Clarification, please:  By saying "work" I assume you're talking about more
than just employment?  e.g. Your proverbial spouse and / or children can be
unemployed but still be supported by you because they fulfill some other
need?

Well, children are a special case, but should I ever have kids, they
will certainly be expected to do "work" around the house.  Once they
become adults, though, they'll hit the road.

The situation can be roughly described in marketing terms.  We have a bad
public image; we should try to fix it.  It's good for business.  It's good
for our neighbors who do business with us.  It's also good for the whole
melting pot thing -- which is a bad thing if you're against the whole
melting pot thing.

Mmmmm... I'll have to think about this.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide