 Off-Topic / Debate / 957
Re: Genocide and terrorism (Was: SW <-> Russia conspiracy)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 02:28:10 GMT

John DiRienzo wrote:

   Yes, for me it includes any of the above.  My family is made up of
productive people, so fortunately I have not been in the position where I
had to take care of my brother.  I would not loan money to my brother if he
needed it because of his own irresponsibility.  I would let him suffer the
consequences of his actions and learn from his mistakes - a far better
choice than letting him become dependent on me.  I would not coddle him in
this case or any other.  It is not the same as not caring about him, but it
is the only way I can show that I care.  If my borther were a different
creature, like many that roam this planet, he might try to make me feel
guilt or shame for not "helping" him.  But then I would no longer deal with
him, because he does not deal with me according to my own rules.  If I ever
did loan my brother money, it would be because I want to help a person whom
I respect and like, not merely because he is my because he is my brother and
somehow has a right to my money.  I draw the line where ever I choose.  I
will help (usually money because I have more of it than time) people I
respect - I respect those who respect me and my beliefs.

Right on. I have a brother in law who has exhibited enough cluelessness
and consequence avoidance that he's on the verge of being written off.

  Name one thing we are entitled to.  We HAVE rights, but that is different
from entitlements.  Where in the Constitution does it say we are entitled to
welfare, medical insurance, guns?  We may have the right to own guns, but it
is certainly not the governments responsibility to provide one for everyone!
Do you follow?

Right on. Key difference here. If you don't get it, re-read. Rights are
about behaviours. Even property rights. There is no RIGHT to goods,
services (property) you have not earned in an honest contract.

Go Objectivist Go!

$ Lar $