 Off-Topic / Debate / 929
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 01:04:42 GMT

James Brown wrote:

I am prepared for the eventuality of someone invading my home with a gun. • As
I said above, I'll do what he tells me.  To me, it's just not worth it.

You're going to do what he says, huh?

Subject to circumstances, obviously.

Even when he remembers that he forgot his mask, realises you probably
ID'ed him very well (remember, you were pointing out how you'd be
observing every detail, that's often a fairly noticable behaviour), and
he asks you to turn around so he doesn't have to look at you when he
blows you away because the look on the face of his victims just before
he kills them interferes with his ability to sleep at night.

Whatever. Think of it as evolution in action. The contest doesn't always
go to the smart, but that's the way to bet.

And anyone who invades my home, without a mask, without having the minimal
intelligence necessary to check if there is anyone home first, is not at the
top of the food chain.  I am confident that I am capable of defending myself,
if neccesary, against a moron with a gun.  A professional with a gun, and I'm
dead.  A nutcase with a gun, who knows.  But a moron?  I might get shot, if I'm
being slow about it, or have other people to worry about, but I am confident
that in the limited space of an average room, I can react in a fashion that
will not get me killed.

However, as far as I'm concerned, it's completely theoretical.  The odds of it
happening are so remote they might as well be cold fusion.  I'm more likely to
get killed by blue ice than by an armed robber in my home.  I'm not going to
start wearing a helmet in case that happens, so why buy a gun to be "prepared"
for an even unlikelier eventuality?

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/