 Off-Topic / Debate / 6868
Re: Can we all agree to do eCheck payments with Paypal and not CC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 20:20:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Stanley writes:
No, but if you can give me an ldraw part number and sets that contain it
I'll keep an eye out for them.  :)

2x2x5 girders came in 1682 in red, in 6444 in black, and in 3313 in grey.

Ldraw #s are 2579 and 2580 (both are needed)

Not really any different, though, than what your bank does with putting a
hold on deposits, right?  I agree, it is a pain, but a couple days doesn't
matter too much to me.

There IS a difference, though - a paper check deposited cannot be instantly
verified. A wire or EFT withdrawal, because of the way banks do the accounting,
represents ALREADY verified funds. They have no reason to withhold crediting my
account; there is no chance that the "deposit" to my PayPal account will
bounce - my bank would not have sent the $$ if there weren't funds in my
account to deduct to cover it.

I spent 6 years in banking finance and systems, I'm confident in my knowledge
of this area.

Right now I have 2 money orders and a check sitting in my wallet
waiting for tomorrow afternoon when my bank is open late enough for me to
get there after work.

May I ask -- without being sarcastic -- if your bank uses these newfangled ATM
machines that I've heard about??  I haven't talked to a teller in at least a
year, and that occasion was only to initiate a wire transfer.

I understand some of those "pluses" but why does it cost you $42 to wire
funds to them?  EFF transfers are free for me.

At my bank, PayPal is not considered to be a EFT transaction, it is considered
a wire transfer.

Well, it's kinda moot to argue it since I certainly would accept it, but I'm
not sure I'm willing to accept I am bound by law to accept cash money from
anyone for any purpose, regardless of what it says on the currency.  It also
says "in god we trust" - and I don't feel obligated to do that.

Actually,you're right about not being bound by law. I think if it came down to
a court case where I sued you for not accepting payment in cash, I would lose
but you would have to pay any costs of converting the cash to a form of payment
acceptale to you.

The motto is not speaking for you, but for the people who authorizaed the
design of the bills back in the aftermath of the Civil War.