 Marketplace / Services / 272
Re: Can we all agree to do eCheck payments with Paypal and not CC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 07:19:48 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Mike Stanley writes:
In lugnet.market.services, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I think you can refuse a payment once you go over the limit though, right?

Do you read it as you having a choice?  I read it as "once you go over the
limit we'll snag any CC funds sent your way until you upgrade your account".
I'll reread it to make sure, but yeah, if I could just log on and say,
"argh! reject this payment - try again Mr. Not-Paying-Attention" I'd like >that.

Ok, just reread the policy change.  You're right, and I'll quote:

"Credit card payments sent to a Personal Account in excess of the limit will
be held as "pending" until the recipient chooses to accept the payment by
upgrading or to return it to the sender by refusing the payment."

So yeah, it looks like I'd be able to return it to the sender.  This is
sounding better.

I like this also:

"Personal Accounts exceeding the limit will still be able to receive
payments funded from a bank account or existing PayPal account balance."

I do think it would be good to try to get enough people on board with an
informal agreement to start encouraging non-CC payments, but it looks like
even if some people don't get the message early on, they'll be forced to get
it later on when their payments start being returned.

Insisting on eCheck or Paypal balance transfers would then become just like
insisting on payment in US dollars or by certified means rather than
personal checks - something a seller certainly has a right to do as long as
he states it clearly up front.