 Marketplace / Services / 271
Re: Can we all agree to do eCheck payments with Paypal and not CC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 07:11:24 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I'm willing to stick to your informal agreement... seems a good idea to me.

Well that takes a load of my mind since you're one of my largest buyers.  :)

I think it could work out well for everyone.

I think you can refuse a payment once you go over the limit though, right?

Do you read it as you having a choice?  I read it as "once you go over the
limit we'll snag any CC funds sent your way until you upgrade your account".
I'll reread it to make sure, but yeah, if I could just log on and say,
"argh! reject this payment - try again Mr. Not-Paying-Attention" I'd like that.

BTW, PayPal just went international. I was excited.

Then I read the fine print... 30 cents plus 2.6%(.something anyway) for
every transaction no matter how funded. I am not sure it's the end of
factoring after all. But it should make periodic settlement easier anyway.

Hrmmm.  Well, this in particular may be one area where buyers would be
willing (and should be) to bear the cost.  I was recently paid with
Bidpay.com - a first for me.  I got a Western Union money order as payment.
I checked them out and their model seems to be just the opposite of
Paypal's.  Instead of offloading the expenses on the seller the buyer
appears to bear the load - $5 for a money order $100 and less - 2.25%+ $5.00
for $100.01 to $500.

Maybe $5.00 is cheaper than an international money order.  Maybe the time
factor made it worth it - the MO arrived within 2-3 days instead of who
knows how long for international mail.

With Paypal a $75 payment would only incur $2.25 in fees, assuming the 2.6%
figure is correct, versus $5.00 for Bidpay's Western Union money order.  Not
sure what your fees are, but if your charging less than $2.25 for anything
it would stun me considering how much I know you value your time.