 Marketplace / Services / 291
Re: Can we all agree to do eCheck payments with Paypal and not CC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 03:03:48 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Mike Stanley writes:

Well, that's certainly your choice.

If you'll still accept other forms of payment, then I'll still buy.
Got any 2x2x5 girders around?  :-)

But I never said I am going to insist on eCheck or Paypal.  What I am
talking about is that if someone is going to pay me WITH Paypal I think we
should all agree to do it the eCheck way (which is one of the ways you can
pay someone with Paypal), not with CC's, to bypass the limit you seem so
opposed to.

The problem I have is that PayPal places an unreasonable hold/delay on funds
wired in to them. Wired moeny is already in their hands - it has been sent via
the Federal Reserve system from my bank, and thus they have no excuse for
delaying the credit to my account.

If you want to buy with me and pay with a personal check or money order -
that's fine.  It's more of a hassle for me, and I can see a day when, if
99/100 of my orders are paid with Paypal or something like it I might add an
"inconvenience" charge for having to make a physical trip to the bank, but
I've never said I am only interested in taking Paypal payments.

Good. I'll still buy, but I won't like the inconvenience charge. I'll probably
argue that as well.

If you feel so strongly about Paypal that you'll refuse to use their service
as a buyer, something that will cost you nothing, that's your right, but I
think that comes close to silly spitefulness than it does righteousness.

But it DOESN'T cost me nothing - it costs me $42 to wire funds to them, or 33
cents to send a check, PLUS the interest I would have earned in my money market
account. PLUS the hassle of having to track another set of transactions and
maintain another balance. PLUS the time the money sits in limbo before they
release it to me.

Who says?  I certainly WILL accept US Cash, although I'd urge you not to
send it as I'm not going to be responsible for it if someone along the way
opens your envelope and takes it (you'd be amazed at how many envelopes
arrive unsealed).  But who says I, as a private citizen, am bound to accept
US cash for any purposes?  The government may be bound to it, but I'm not.

Granted, risk of transport is on me, but if it arrives, you must accept it - it
says so right on the currency, and I suspect that it is a misdemeanor to NOT
accept REASONABLE forms of payment in cash. I agree that sending pennies to the
IRS is not reasonable, but if I'm paying you $26.86 for a purchase, and I send
$27, you have to accept it, I think....

Paul Sinasohn