 Marketplace / Services / 323
Re: Can we all agree to do eCheck payments with Paypal and not CC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 19:44:20 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Mike Stanley writes:
What I'd like to know is if people think we as a community of AFOL buyers
and sellers can agree that if we're going to use Paypal to handle our
transactions, we only do so with non-CC methods?

Okay, here is my problem:

I have previously never had a balance in my Paypal account because I never
sell anything via the internet.  It just so happens that a seller recently
kicked me some money back again because the item was not in the condition
described, so I had a balance when I made payment to another seller today.
At no point during the Paypal process was there a radio button or some such
to select a payment method.  I guess that normally my payments are just
pulled from my credit card.  And I gather that this is precisely what Mike
wants us to avoid because of the additional costs.

I note that when one is in the "My Account" tab of the Paypal interface,
there is an option to "Add Funds."  The two choices there appear to be:
"Electronic Funds Transfer (3-4 Business Days)" and "Personal Check (1-2
Weeks)."  Both of which merely add time to a transaction unless I maintain a
balance, which I am not sure I care to do.  Then again, I suppose it may
make no difference -- but it does add a step somewhere to what I am already
doing.  No big.

I have been privately requested to send payment via "Bank Transfer Method"
or something called an "eCheck."  I can easily connect the dots between a
thing called "Electronic Funds Transfer" and a thing called "Bank Transfer
Method" which I am going to assume are the same things, but what the heck is
an "eCheck"?

Who can add it all up for me and correct me where I may be wrong?

-- Richard