 Marketplace / Services / 276
Re: Can we all agree to do eCheck payments with Paypal and not CC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:21:42 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Rob Doucette writes:

I'm thinking that instituting a CC funded payment fee policy may be in
order:  "If paying via PayPal from a US account, thou shalt not use CC
funding else a 10% additional payment will be required for release of goods.
Failure to send said 10% fee shall result in immediate forfeiture of any and
all funds previously transmitted as well as goods"

I don't know for sure, but I think that it's illegal in some states to charge
extra for credit card purchases.  Anyone know if this is true or not?

...time passes...

Well, I researched it.  According to www.creditinfocenter.com which is what I
got when I did a search on this topic on google:

"The Federal Truth-in-Lending Act prohibited surcharges on credit card
purchases until 1984; since then, there has been no Federal law on that
subject. (Other provisions of the law are still in force.) The states of CA,
CO, CT, FL, KS, MA, ME, NY, OK, and TX have laws against surcharges, according
to Bankcard Holders of America.

Discover allows surcharges on credit card purchases, except in the above
states. Visa and MasterCard prohibit them. American Express discourages them in
general, and specifically prohibits them by merchants that also take MasterCard
or Visa because Amex doesn't allow merchants to discriminate against it"

The site goes on to say that the way to get around this is to charge the
"surcharge" to everyone and give a discount to cash payments.  So, since we're
talking Paypal here, I don't know if that would change things, but it's
something to consider.

Ben Roller