 Off-Topic / Debate / 6869
Re: Something not right about Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 21:10:00 GMT

From: "Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com>

Call me a stick in the mud, and this may be an unpopular viewpoint.

Yer a stick in the mud.

I looked at this, and I looked at the earlier "Mark goes for donuts". I
laughed a lot, both times. (I laughed at the E! jarjar mockumentary too.)
LOTS of talent went into making these graphic comics, there is no denying
that.

And to a certain extent, all humor centers around the discomfiture,
misfortune, or embarrassment of others or of ourselves.

But is a storyline in which the protagonists either ignore injustice or
actively participate in it... is that storyline "good"? Is it funny, really,
to see the suffering of another who is being victimized because of his
appearance, language, or (in Jar Jar's case, he's not very bright) mental
handicap?

Yes, it's quite funny. Personally, I find it funny because it's a poke in
the eye of the Lucasfilm marketing behemoth that spawned JarJar.

I can't speak for Dan, but I put the JarJar violence into my story because
JarJar isn't a "being." JarJar is a marketing tool. JarJar was created to
add slapstick comic relief to Ep. 1, and to provide Lucasfilm with a cutesy
critter to plaster all over innumerable marketable items.

I just don't know. That's why I followed this up to off-topic.debate. I
expect I am going to get some replies that say "lighten up, it's all in
fun". Heck, I sort of feel that way myself. Something here is making me a
bit queasy, I can't claim that I have come to grips with it exactly. There
are no good guys, per se, in the strip, so we can't say the good guys are
doing bad things...

Heh. Yep. Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads are definitely not "good" guys.

Talented as this work is, and as much as it made me laugh, I am not sure I
want to see a bunch of other works that all "celebrate" intolerance. or
something.

So don't read 'em.

Jar Jar is a sentient being (of a fantasy world) and I suspect he has rights
and doesn't like being beat up because he talks funny or looks funny. He
didn't CHOOSE to look goofy, did he?

JarJar isn't a being, and therefore has no rights. More importantly, it IS a
fantasy world, and I think it should be free of the Political Correctness to
which we're supposed to adhere in all aspects of everyday life.

I am a fan of satire, which is what Dan made. Satire is often politically
incorrect, abrasive, offensive (to some), or even downright mean.. I like
satire because I feel it causes us to take a look at ourselves and see how
seriously we take ourselves.

I think there's a time and place to be politically correct and to treat
everyone with all the respect due them, etc. and so forth. I don't think a
satirical comic is one of those places.

On the other hand, who am I to say what sort of work other people should
create or not create? I dunno.

As always, you have the freedom to *not* read it.

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin
--
Mark's Lego(R) Creations
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego