 Off-Topic / Debate / 6791
Re: Are we all too nice?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 02:51:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:

Don't ever let me catch you doing it.  It's against the rules -- see #3 & #4
of the Discussion Group T&C.

Uh, too late.
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=6784

Wasn't this very thing done before? I don't think this was a new thing that
needed to be demonstrated, we all know that spoofing is possible. I'm too
lazy to dig up the exact off-topic.test posting that showed it but I recall
seeing it. So why do it?

It amazes me that anyone thinks it's anything of difficulty. As soon as I
thought about exactly how I set up Netscape to be able to post to newsgroups
(Usenet or Lugnet), I realized that there is nothing to it, so no need to test
it. When I post at work, I'm posting under my ffilz@mindspring.com ID, but the
posting is coming from an ibm.com address. My sig file has my work e-mail
address to make it clear that I'm not trying to hide my identity at all.

Todd: I think you've mentioned before that it can cause people difficulty if
the news server requires login, is it perhaps time to think about setting up
logins? It would be nice at least as an option (I think this has been suggested
before). Perhaps postings could include something in the header which indicates
the post was posted under the auspices of an authenticated login.

FUT: lugnet.admin.nntp

Frank