 Off-Topic / Debate / 6823
6822  |  6824
Subject:
ratings vs. feedback (was Re: Are we all too nice?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:46:57 GMT

This is a digression about ratings and feedback, not on topic for the "too
nice" question per se.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Kingsley writes:

Well I would suggest, as has been stated earlier, that is what the article
highlighting is for.  To me if I see someone chose to highlight my article it
tells me they liked it, I don't need them to tell me "hey thats cool!" I know
that is how someone flet because it was highlighted and I don't have to sift
through their post to get to one with more constructive comments.

I'm not sure I totally agree. Call me elitist, but a "hey that's cool!" from
Karim Nasser for a spaceship I built would mean MUCH more to me than if I
got it from John Neal. Conversely, a "hey that's cool" from John Neal on a
new locomotive design I did would mean somewhat more to me than if I got it
from Karim.

That's because Karim knows more about spaceships than John does, and John
knows more about trains than Karim does (but not more than *I* know about
trains of course :-) ).

Ratings totally lose that. Where they are good is to highlight things that
are "newsworthy". I highlight stuff I totally disagree with because I think
it is important to see discussed further. Highlighting is for news.
Praise/feedback is for constructive work (be it programming, LUG
organization, market.theory stuff, or building)...

So while you said you meant building as an example only, I see it as a
distinguishing characteristic from the merely newsworthy.

Helps?

++lar