 Off-Topic / Debate / 6796
Re: Are we all too nice?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:24:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
This is ultimately a CFD (call for discussion) for a new newsgroup, but also
asking what I think may be an important question.  It's a taboo question, so
do try to keep an open mind.

Now let me switch gears.

Along those same lines, why is there a .off-topic.debate group here?  It's
not to encourage debates or arguments, but to give debates a home when they
pop up -- because they will always pop up.  People can argue all they want in
.off-topic.debate and they don't have to put pressure on themselves to avoid
doing something that comes natural to them.

I am wondering what people would think if there were a group

  lugnet.off-topic.debate.flame

where, basically, anything goes:  rudeness, complete gruffness, even
profanity.  (When I say anything, BTW, I mean anything but copyright
violations or other illegalities, etc.)

It would have to come with certain technical restrictions on it whereby you
couldn't crosspost to it or post replies to or from it -- something relatively
isolated from the other groups but where people could completely let loose and
speak their minds.  Because it's natural to do so, and unnatural not to.

So the purpose of this group would not be to encourage or foster flamewars,
but to give them a relatively isolated place to occur -- and as we all know,
they do come up from time to time, even here in our friendly little corner of
the online universe.

My ultimate concern here, thus, is that by all of us always trying to be so
nice to each other and always feeling like we have to watch what we say, that
creates stress on us which builds and builds (pun unintended :-).  Finally
when it reaches critical mass, things get messier than (I think) they would
have been if we didn't feel we always had to be so godforsaken polite.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Todd:

I'm really against the idea of a flame-dedicated newsgroup.  IMO, that would be
stooping to the lowest common denominator.  Civility, politeness, good manners,
and measured social restraint are virtues which are seldom practiced, but which
would make this world (and dare I say Lugnet) an even better place.  Flame wars,
profanity, and angry disrepectful name-calling is the lazy way.  Civility (which
does not mean timid acquiesence) is indeed a harder endeavor, but it is a better
one.  I'm not suggesting a strict moral code of behavior by any means...I agree
with Eric Kingsley that we should encourage honest criticism and debate;
however...I sincerely hope that this community chooses to do so without
condoning such an unfriendly and unnecessary means of communication.  Let the
person who would spew venom without restraint do so elsewhere.  Community and
friendship takes work and dedication and commitment - to eachother, and to
principles.  Let flame wars stay private.  I would like to end my thoughts with
an adapted quote from C.S. Lewis regarding the nature of civility in home-life;
I leave this because I think that for some of us, Lugnet is something of our
Lego home:

"In fact he [a man with whom C.S. Lewis had dinner] values home as the place
where he can 'be himself' in the sense of trampling on all the restraints which
civilized humanity has found indispensable for tolerable social intercourse.  In
this, I think, is very common.  What chiefly distinguishes domestic from public
conversation is surely very often simply its downright rudeness.  What
distinguishes domestic behavior is often it's selfishness, slovenliness,
incivility - even brutality.  And it will often happen that those who praise
home-life most loundly are the worst offenders in this respect; they praise it -
they are always glad to get home, hate the outer world, can't stand visitors,
can't be bothered meeting people, etc. - because the freedom in which they
indulge themselves at home have ended by making them unfit for civilized
society.  If they practiced elsewhere the only behavior they now find 'natural,'
they would simply be knocked down." - from The Weight of Glory by C.S. Lewis

While this is indeed a public forum, it is also a home - to which Todd has
graciously invited us in - in which we may be comfortable and enjoy our hobby
and remain amiacable (if not always in agreement) with eachother.  Let us keep
this home civilized and cast outside vulgarities, and cease our personal
attacks.