 Off-Topic / Debate / 6837
Re: Are we all too nice?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 01:57:29 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre writes:

I just give the example below:

"Yeah, you are right, I already commented about your mother's sexual
abilities last week, but you know, it was on .flame, do not take it
seriously, so we are friends again right?"

Wouldn't work.

This is absolutely true.  If you write that (or worse) to/about me, I won't
forget it and you will basically forever count as worthless in my book.
And I won't ever seperate that from other contributions that you might
make.  I think this is the only strong argument against the creation of
this group.  (Actually, the only strong argument on either side.)

I hate to say it, but that's YOUR shortcoming (ignoring whether what the other
person said was proof a shortcoming or not).

I also take things personally....for a while.  Usually a very short while.  Rarely
a very long time.  I don't think there's any person on Lugnet I've been ticked off
at for a very long time, nor one I've been ticked off at for more than a week at
most in the entire Lugnet history.

But, if you don't want to read those kind notes, you don't have to.  It seems
like there are a bunch of weak (or potential) arguments in favor of the
creation of such a group and two bigger arguments against: the one illustrated
by Selçuk above, and the fact that it will take time.

Luckily, the time shouldn't be that much, and even if it were, it is CONSTRUCTIVE
time - any special filtering that Todd would have to put in place would be a
learning experience he could use in the future (in part or in whole) for other
groups.

I'm certainly for it, and might even read it from time to time.  Heck, I might
even post.  Most of my posts would be vents against TLG, not any particular
person, I would hope.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/