 Off-Topic / Debate / 6822
Re: Are we all too nice?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:46:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
This is ultimately a CFD (call for discussion) for a new newsgroup, but also
asking what I think may be an important question.  It's a taboo question, so
do try to keep an open mind.

The question is:  Are we trying to be too nice to one another?

<snip>

I've been hanging around RTL and Lugnet for years now. When I first heard
about Todd's plan to create Lugnet I was extreemly happy, thinking foolishly
that the kind of flamewars people engaged in would stay out of this place.
Sadly, I was wrong. Not that I want to be thought of as the kind of guy who
keeps his head in the sand, or that I can't/won't take a stand on an issue,
that just isn't true. I'd just rather leave this type of thing out of my
entertainment. To me, life is just too short for that kind of thing, And I
just wish we could all just get along.

In that time I've seen the flamewars move from RTL to Lugnet. Seldom have I
been compelled to get into the trenches and grouse about a subject, either
on one side or another. The few times I have jumped in, I have hoped that I
could somehow cool things off somewhat, (not everytime, but most of the
time). I'm uncertain if I've ever made a differance in this regard.

What I have come to realize is though, is that people feel that they need to
express complaints. It could be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but
someone will find reason and occasion to gripe about the the smallest
imperfection. I too am guilty of this behavior, though I have tried not to
do it in this forum (Lugnet). I also realize that some people believe that
this is the only place that they can express themselves because they believe
that the people in this community somehow are more capable of understanding
their veiwpoint.

I've also seen how most of society, (well American society anway,) get
caught up on the whole political correctness thing. I'm sure that some of
this has pervaded other societies globally. In someways by tempering
language, it only bottles up a lot of peoples emotions. I've seen some lash
out at others for just a word mispelled, or a word used out of context or
misused. Language, (English language especially,) is a clumsy tool that not
all are masters of. I am far from mastery myself, though I stive to gain
more mastery every day.

I'm sure by now most of you are hoping that I have a point. Well, my point
is that I believe that if you don't create a "Vent" group, one will grow
anyway. It is just the nature of the beast. People will feel frustrated by
something, while others will be unable to comprehend that frustration at
all. Things will boil over no matter what. I'm sure most of us hope that
when it gets down to two people slugging it out that they take it somewhere
else (like email), but that rarely happens it seems to me. But barring that,
having a "Vent" group that you can nudge the participants into would be a
good idea. It gives them room to be as nasty as they want to be.

Take care all.

Rich

--
Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (My views do not necessarily express the
views of my employer...)

BRICKFEST 2001 IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER... START MAKING PLANS TODAY.

Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
Visit http://www.wamalug.org &
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/1334
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
*****