 Off-Topic / Debate / 6836
Re: Are we all too nice?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 01:49:57 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

David Eaton wrote:
I also think that's part of what makes the article rating system so good. If
you want to say "Great job!", all you need to do is select 'highlight' or
'spotlight', and the poster's been congradulated.

Not true. I do a lot of my reading from nntp. I don't see the ratings
(nor can I make them). I pretty much ignore the rating system (I haven't
seen any proposals of how it would be used which would really be
effective, one problem is not enough people rate the articles, another
problem is there is a vast history of posts which is not rated, another
is that I don't see many ways yet to use the ratings to find posts).

Ditto - I think I've used the web interface to post ONCE (while I was in a class
with only web access).  I don't find any of the "whizbang" web news interface stuff
very useful, considering I almost never see it.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/