 Off-Topic / Debate / 6821
Re: Are we all too nice?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:21:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Christopher Weeks wrote:
Eric Kingsley took this completely in the direction of constructive
criticism toward creative works.  And he's right that the only valuable
comments are the ones suggesting change.

First I should clarify that while I used creative works as an example I did say
in my post that it can apply to different aspects of LUGNET.

Actually, I'd argue against that idea. There are ways which comments
which don't suggest change can be good:

- Positive re-inforcement. If your idea is good, and you are
complemented, you are encouraged to keep doing more. If you get no
comments at all, or only comments suggesting "why don't you try that" or
"why didn't you do this", then you may get discouraged. Even a single
"Hey John, nice job." comment can be uplifting.

Well I would suggest, as has been stated earlier, that is what the article
highlighting is for.  To me if I see someone chose to highlight my article that
tells me they liked it, I don't need them to tell me "hey thats cool!" I know
that is how someone flet because it was highlighted and I don't have to sift
through their post to get to one with more constructive comments.

I will agree however that some people might get discouraged with posts of
constructive critisizm and that is why I feel like I shouldn't do it most of
the time.  That is what I mean by we are too nice.  I should feel that
constructive critisizm is OK to post and in most cases I fear upsetting the
origional poster so I don't.  There are only a select few people here that I
feel comfortable posting constructive critisizm to.

- Someone may point out something good that you didn't notice ("Hey, I
like how your creation evokes this feeling." when you hadn't even
thought about the feelings evoked by your creation). Also, these kind of
"I like this or that" comments may lead someone else to look at the
creation and be inspired (if I'm going to build a Greek temple, and
notice a comment "John Doe, I like your Greek columns on your Martian
base.", I might go look at that base which I might not have looked at
otherwise (of course this assumes that the comment is made in a thread
that I would end up reading).

Of course for the most part, the types of comments I am suggesting are
valuable are not simple "John, nice job." They contain valuable content
of some form.

I agree to a certain extent and would consider some of what you suggest
constructive.  My main problem is with "Hey Cool!!" posts.  I also have a
problem with repetative posts which seem to be happening regularly now as well
but that is a different problem.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/