 Off-Topic / Debate / 6820
Re: Are we all too nice?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:18:01 GMT

Jim Hughes wrote:
A flame group will not serve any constructive purpose (how many flame wars
have you read wherethere was any real resolution of the issue) but will
engender bad feelings amoung the participants, both in the flame group and
probably in any other group where these same participants interact, resulting
in an unintended spill over effect into the rest of the NG's. Because of this
I feel that over time the level of civility in general would decrease and
finally, back to where I started, I think that there would be an increase in
noise and decrease in content.

A counterpoint on this is that there are people who spar pretty hard in
.debate who otherwise are the best of friends. Of course there is a
difference in that the culture of .debate encourages attempting to stay
above the muck and _debate_ not flame.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com