 Off-Topic / Debate / 20455
Re: WMD, again...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:25:36 GMT

Hey, I've said all along that if God appeared to me and made a convincing
case, I'd believe that He exists.

"convincing case"  Do I detect a caveat?

Not an intentional one.  I just meant that any powerful being, like Bill
Gates or Ashley Judd, could appear before me and make claims of divinity.
But I'd need to see/experience convincing evidence (even if it's accessible
only to me) before I could believe in the divinity of the petitioner.

[1] Especially if He wiped away my student loans with a wave of His divine Hand.

lol An example of a "convincing case"?  So what if after having read this, I,
being a Christian man of substantial means (though sadly I am not; this is a
hypothetical), sent you a check for an amount greater than your student loans
because I believed God wanted it, would you then believe in the existence of
God? (the presumption being, as I believe, that God acts through His followers).

In that case I'd probably be more kindly disposed to at least one
Christian (thereafter referred to as my benefactor)!

A-ha!  If *I* did send a windfall your way, no way would I take credit-- I'd
sign the card "from God, to Dave!" :-)

Aside from that and since we are on the subject of God, I have a question for
you if you care to answer-- What is the difference in reasoning between an
Atheist and a Deist?  I am not able to come up with anything.

I haven't done too much research on Deism, but my general sense is that
Deists acknowledge (or believe in) a Creator/deific entity who hasn't really
involved him/her/itself since the time of creation.  Sort of like winding a
clock and letting it run.  This is compatible with certain theories of
Intelligent Design, but not really with Christianity, for example.
Atheists, in contrast, generally don't worship or believe in any
god/creator/deity.  There's a whole rainbow of different kinds of atheism
ranging from strict materialists to solipsists to postmodern "It's all a
matter of perspective"-types.  The difference is that, for atheists, there's
no belief in or worship of the god figure, even if such a figure is accepted
to exist.

Whoa, you lost me.  Are you saying that it is possible for an Atheist to accept
the existence of a God?

Deism is, in daily life, very similar to atheism and can actually be a
sort of bulwark for someone not comfortable with full-blown atheism (ie, "I
want to believe in *something*")  Many of the founding fathers were Deists,
by the way.

Does that provide a suitable answer?

Thank you.  I suspected as much, that Atheism and Deism were similar.  Neither
acknowledges that the existence of God is provable, yet a Deist believes anyway
(leap of faith).  Now it seems to me that an Atheist also takes a leap of faith
of sorts by not believing in something that is by definition unprovable.  That
is, whether one believes in God or not is a sort of toss up-- Deists seem to me
to be Atheists who accept the existence of God and not much else without any
justifiable reason other than, as you mentioned, personal comfort level.

I guess my question for you and other Atheists would be: why choose Atheism and
not Deism?

JOHN