 Off-Topic / Debate / 20456
Re: For some Lego is a religous experience. (Was: Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:30:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Terry Prosper writes:

I was, in fact asking this question because I don't approve of children
being dragged to church by their parents.  Religion (or absemce of) should
be a decision that we make alone, without the parental influence.  We all
know that people believe in what their parents believe 99,9% of the time.
This, to me, is a bad thing.  I'd wish that children couldn't go in any
religious building before a certain age so that they can choose fr
themselves when they are old enough to decide if they want to be part of
this or not.
OK.  I usually don't get into debate, but this isn't the place to talk
about religous beleifs.  I'm glad you have an opinion, but I for one, am
14 years old and have been an official member of my church for a year now.
I don't have a problem 'being dragged to church'.

By trying to teach a child something, you almost automatically force it to
them if they are in the proper environment.  So you could consider my
question as a rethorical blame.
Uh, so this means that teaching a child something in school is forcing it on
them?  Otherwise all knowledge is forced?

Especially using LEGO braicks, a toy that children love, to illustrate your
opinion, this to me is a especially sad.
LEGOs are used as people want to use them.  Don't be angry at people's
imagnations.

I just don't understand why religious people can't live there religion alone
for themselves, why they feel compell to harass others about what they feel,
how they see things...  If I was to act like that, all my posts would end
with my own beliefs:
True, this isn't a place to spread religous things, but if someone wants
to talk about it I don't see to much of a problem with it as long as there
is not habit forming.

God doesn't exist.  If he did, he'd be a real ass-hole letting all those
people suffer.
I'm not going off on a rant, but with some of the things I've been thru in
my life I'm telling you he exists.

But if I did that, expressing my opinion, then I'd be accused to provoque.
To me, "Jesus loves you" and all that crap is provoquing, but when I dare
say so, I get flamed and accused of intolerance...
OK, then if you dont want to talk religous, dont talk religous.  I'm obviously
on the other side of the ballfield then you, but i'm not one to use a lego
based place to argue over non lego debates.  End of story.

Terry

Hasta la Vista, Sean