 Off-Topic / Debate / 20490
Re: WMD, again...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 05:51:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello writes:
I would say successfully launching campaigns to remove both the Taliban and
Husein regime from power was a great accomplishment, whether you agree with • his >motivations for those actions or not.

Could you show me where in the federal Constitution the invasion of foreign
territories is explicitly laid out as part of the duties of the U.S. President?

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of
President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve,
protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

If the president deems a threat to our nation exists in foreign territory, then
he is bound by oath to defend against it.

Then the argument goes towards whether it was an imminent threat, an actual
threat, etc-- matters of interpretation.

You may disagree with him, but the justification is there.

JOHN

A threat to your Nation exists everywhere, should then your President start
a world war to wipe out anything that could someday cause a tragedy?

If he considers your attitude is a threat to your countries values of peace
and freedom, should Bush nuke your home?

There are people starving to death right now on US territory.  The President
is spending billions on the war.  Wouldn't you say according to the oath he
took that he should first try to help your own people before starting a war
because Hussein and him don't go along?

Terry