 Off-Topic / Debate / 20069
20068  |  20070
Subject:
...so much for winning hearts and minds. [was Re: Outrageous ...]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 08:46:53 GMT

And I reject that you can sit there on your high horse and say "Those
b*stards!!" when you're doing the same thing.

By "same thing", do you mean that *we* are waving white flags at the Iraqi army
and then ambushing them,

The evidence suggests that your servicemen are not even look at flags:

'The Yank opened up. He had absolutely no regard for human life.'
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-6047-629644,00.html
==+==
Lieutenant Alex MacEwen, 25, Lance Corporal of Horse Steven Gerrard, 33, and
Trooper Chris Finney, 18, were flown home last night with shrapnel wounds and
burns. Before leaving the Argus they spoke of their bewilderment and anger
that, despite flying very low over their heads, the A10 pilot apparently failed
to recognise the coalition identification markings on their British-made tanks.
Another vehicle in the five-strong convoy patrolling the marshes near the
meeting of the Euphrates and Shatt al-Arab rivers bore a large Union Jack.
==+==

[I expect they were actually flying the Union Flag not the "Union Jack"]

...and that they are not follwing orders:

A Gruesome Scene on Highway 9
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61229-2003Mar31.html
==+==
"Fire a warning shot," he ordered as the vehicle kept coming. Then, with
increasing urgency, he told the platoon to shoot a 7.62mm machine-gun round
into its radiator. "Stop [messing] around!" Johnson yelled into the company
radio network when he still saw no action being taken. Finally, he shouted at
the top of his voice, "Stop him, Red 1, stop him!"

That order was immediately followed by the loud reports of 25mm cannon fire
from one or more of the platoon's Bradleys. About half a dozen shots were heard
in all.

Fifteen Iraqi civilians were packed inside the Toyota... Ten of them, including
five children who appeared to be under 5 years old, were killed on the spot
when the high-explosive rounds slammed into their target... Of the five others,
one man was so severely injured that medics said he was not expected to live.
==+==

...so much for winning "hearts and minds".

Should William Branigin be sacked?

Scott A