 Off-Topic / Debate / 19874
Re: Outrageous Iraqi Geneva Convention Violation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:46:22 GMT

I am not saying we are all wrong -- we certainly do a lot of pointless,
stupid, shallow things though.  Pointing out those flaws is in my view being
a good american because my point is the improvement of our circumstances.  I
have lost all hope though, hence the tendency to merely rant.

Reasonableness is all many of us are after though.

Okay, I'll work with that.  You say that pointing out our flaws is part of
being a good American.  I think we can agree here; I would say that being a
good American in part means being vigilant about protecting the ideals of our
Constitution.  My problem with you, Richard, is that *all* you ever do is
criticize America and those who defend her.  I mean, what is the difference
between you and your criticism only rants and someone merely spouting
un-American rhetoric?  Maybe I should ask you: what would you consider
something or someone to be "un-American"?

I would probably relax a lot more in this group if I saw more props for America
instead of the *constant* US bashing that goes on here.  I think we agree on a
lot about what is good about this country, so why is it that I feel as if I
must constantly defend her here?

I would hope that every American in this NG thinks that we are the greatest
nation on the earth, is proud to be an American, and I guess I really don't
care *why* one believes it (except for anyone who believes that we are great
because of some illegitimacy-- I'll take issue with that).  But my feeling is
that some Americans in this NG are *ashamed* of being American, are reticent or
refuse to say anything *good* about America, because they don't want to be
perceived as "flag-wavers".  They won't say *anything* positive about America
unless and until she becomes *perfect*.  The ingratitude drives me up the wall!

Yeah, we pale in comparison to perfection.  But compared to the *world* we
*are* the standard.  Sure we can raise our own standard, but in the world we
are the manifested ideal.

So a little credit where it is due every now and then would go a long way in my
mind, or pausing to realize how fortunate we are to live in a country that
values Freedom and Liberty does a soul good, and might help you, Richard, to
realize that there is a *LOT* of hope for this country yet.

JOHN