 Off-Topic / Debate / 19865
Re: Outrageous Iraqi Geneva Convention Violation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 18:51:11 GMT

Don't drag the gun debate into this or you'll get responses like the
following, which will derail the thread.

What good are ideals if we throw them away because they're too inconvenient?
My not wanting a gun in my house is *my* ideal.  "Oh, but I'll run out and
git a gun if I live in a bad neighbourhood!"  Well, no, because then, imho,
I will be *contributing* to the reason why the neighbourhood is bad.

No, actually, assuming you're a law abiding citizen otherwise, with a
healthy respect for the rights of others, and you've been suitably trained
in the use of your new gun, you'll be *contributing* to making the
neighborhood *better*.

Thanks for playing.

How's that again??  Not to go 'round and round with you about the specific
*gun* issue, 'cause both you and I are unmoveable on that one, and we both
know it...

If one of *my* ideals is that guns are bad, but I go get a gun because now
my 'hood's bad, I'm breaking my ideals.  I do believe that adaptation to
situations is a good thing, but if you have convictions, you shouldn't go
breaking them 'cause life threw a little tangent your way.  I believe that
privately owned guns contribute to the degradation of society.  I believe
that we're now in the 21st century, where 'the pen is mightier than the
sword'--that the spoken word is far more powerful than bullets.  I believe
that there are only specific organizations that should have access to guns,
such as law enforcement officers and the military.  This is what I believe.
I further believe that guns get into criminal's hands via robberies of
houses and stores that have guns--If I don't have a gun in my house, there
is *no* chance of a gun getting into a criminals hands via me.

It's called 'breaking covenant' with oneself.  To me, it doesn't matter if
someone has a cache of weapons that would make Branch Davidian blush--as for
me and my house, we will have none of it.

Thank you for playing... come again.

Dave K