 Off-Topic / Debate / 19858
Re: Outrageous Iraqi Geneva Convention Violation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 18:14:51 GMT

This entire conversation--Iraq bad, US perfect!  Stop being

Whoa, that's quite an indictment!  Cease existing!

    Dave!

Yes, for the love of everything sacred and holy!! Stop being!!!

Oh wait... i forgot to finish that tho...(pause) What's this on the back of
my hand?

;)

I believe the word I was going to use was something along the lines of
"Obtuse" or "narrowminded" or any other idea that would convey turning a
blind eye to the wrongs we commit in order to perpetuate our ideals on others.

I think it's "the ends justify the means" that John, unsaid, supports.

I say "If we break the same rules as our enemy, then we are as guilty as our
enemy--no matter the circumstance."  The degree to which we broke the rules
is another issue all together--shooting under the guise of surrendering is
wrong, but then again, so is beating people to death to extract info.  The
severity of 'punishment'--who decides?

Just like if I do 101 in a 100 zone, I still broke the law, but I don't
expect to get as punished as say, someone who was caught doing 180 in a 100
zone.  There's what John, et al, are missing--moral relativism is not the
issue--if we broke a convention, we *have* to be held accountable for
breaking said convention.  If "they" broke conventions (as like the false
surrendering), then they have to be called to task.  I don't think the
punishment should be the same, but I do think we *both* broke the conventions.

But John cannot shout with righteous indignation "Looky there!!  *They*
broke the Geneva convention" and ignore that the US and allies already did
the same.  It's hypocritical and it's unjust.

What good are ideals if we throw them away because they're too inconvenient?
My not wanting a gun in my house is *my* ideal.  "Oh, but I'll run out and
git a gun if I live in a bad neighbourhood!"  Well, no, because then, imho,
I will be *contributing* to the reason why the neighbourhood is bad.

Dave K