 Off-Topic / Debate / 14960
Re: Using Lego to build weapons? (was Re: The Lego Beretta just won't die)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:25:53 GMT

so no more pirate ships, warships, any military models, wild west,
aquazone(/raiders, etc) classic space, star wars....  I'm sure there's
more "non-toy" themes, but I get tired of listing them.

My post is directed at the reply:

"These are all fictional or historical themes as you may have noticed.
Show me a LEGO theme that plays in our current time which uses weapons?"

By this comment is it safe to say that you feel historical weapons and any
death they caused are acceptable, but any in our "current time" are not?

Weapons are an unavoidable part of our history and our culture - so much so
that even the LEGO Company has included them in many of their sets.  This
idea that possession or creation of a weapon instantly condones violence is
borderline moronic.  They can be used for good in the form of hunting for
food and protecting life and property.  They can also be used for evil.  But
to stick your head in the sand and want to make them go away is almost
silly.  Would it make you feel better to say the Beretta this was modeled
after (a nice job, by the way) was used to stop a criminal from stabbing a
police officer to death?  Would you feel better if the Indians in the Wild
West sets were using their bow & arrows for hunting, or for killing US
Cavalry that may or may not have had honorable intentions?  Your view seems
narrowed to Guns=Evil - and that is fine to feel that way (though it is a
view I do not share).  But then you threw me for a loop with this
differentiating between historical violence and current.  What the ?!?

This isn't even a gun issue - this individual did a very nice job of
reproducing a pistol using LEGOs.

If you are trying to make a point, then please be consistent.