 Off-Topic / Debate / 14936
Re: Using Lego to build weapons? (was Re: The Lego Beretta just won't die)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:20:30 GMT

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 05:05:06PM +0000, Carsten Schmitz wrote:
"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
yah, I would be one of those people.  I am also pro gun control, and yet I
believe that it's not guns who kill, it's people.  A gun can be used to
protect, and save lives.

Yeah. An a-bomb can too...

really?  how do you figure?  or was that sarcasm?  if so, it doesn't
refute my argument...

Lego was to be meant as a toy, weapons are not.

so no more pirate ships, warships, any military models, wild west,
aquazone(/raiders, etc) classic space, star wars....  I'm sure there's • more
"non-toy" themes, but I get tired of listing them.

These are all fictional or historical themes as you may have noticed.
Show me a LEGO theme that plays in our current time which uses weapons?

something like town?  with bank robbers, police officers?  All armed, by
the way.

Sure, go ahead and play
with LEGO however you like, but please, don't tell others how...  I

See. I understand why you say this. Fact is that I didnt tell anyone
how to play Lego.  I just didnt want to be represented as a member of
the AFOL communtiy by a person that builds weapons of it because I (and
its only my opinion that i state here) would not use Lego for something
like that. I wonder what LEGO's opinion would be.  I bet they would
never sponsor or adorse models like that. But that's another thing.

you maybe didn't tell him how to play, but you did tell him to "go show
off elsewhere"?  I don't think we want to ban all AFOLs that use weapons
in their themes/creations, do we?  And Jeff wasn't representing YOU, but
a part of the AFOL community, which, while it may not be to your
liking, does build weapons.

some of the most amazing models I've seen lately were military ones,
doesn't mean I want to have a Tank in my garage?

No. It doesnt. Depends what you like about these models.

I can appreciate the detail, or for that matter, the design of a tank.
As one that used to ride in them (and other armored vehicles) , I really
do like their beauty.

I may be extreme in my view.
But sometimes extreme positions let you see the things from a different
angle of view.

of course.  doesn't make that position correct, of course, just different :)

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com