 Off-Topic / Debate / 14948
Re: Using Lego to build weapons? (was Re: The Lego Beretta just won't die)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 19:09:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Carsten Schmitz writes:
Hello,

[Beretta build of Lego]

I am sorry but I will refuse gladly this kind of PR.

I don't want anyone to think I am a fanatics of something
that is or was used to kill someone or something. No thanks.

Go show off somewhere else.

Carsten

Hmmm.. funny, cause I don't see the name "Carsten" on any of my pages, so • what
does it have to do with you? I guess I missed the part where Beretta • offered
you PR for *my* designs.

You should start reading your own mails:

Anyway... just wanted to share that I've managed to exposed 10's of • thousands
of people to the AFOL community in the last two weeks. Tons of them have
said

At least I think i belong to this AFOL community.

   I'm still kind of confused.  I think you're missing a bit of
   the semantic language in what was said--he's implying that
   though his Beretta is the vehicle that piqued people's interest
   in LEGO anew, they've come here and seen *everything*, and have
   made their decision based on that exposure to "dig out the bricks."
   That's what I gathered from it--but then again, I'm a native
   speaker.  :)

You can twist and turn it as long as you want to.. but a weapon like that is
only used
for killing humans. Nothing to be proud of.

   So it's a military/police weapon?  So what?  He's appreciating
   its technical conception, not its end.  There are a lot of
   folks (like me) who celebrate things naval, yet deplore war.
   Navies are only meant to kill people and destroy things, right?
   Now if he were drooling over its killing power and showing it
   aimed at a person, then yes, I'd see your point.  I see your
   point anyhow--that any weapon-based publicity implicitly promotes
   a weapon's uses--but that depends on the *viewer's* association,
   not the builder's, as long as that association isn't being made
   a necessary one.

Why don't you build a model of an anthrax virus?

   Anthrax isn't a virus.  It's also not meant solely for killing
   humans--it just gets employed to that end, as a weapon.  (Oh,
   it would also make a really dull model, though if it could
   divide on its own...mmmm, free Lego.)

Lego was to be meant as a toy, weapons are not.

   Lego's also "meant" for children.  You're setting up an
   artificial devide that just doesn't hold.  Pacifism is
   laudable, but it's like any sort of super-idealism--it
   runs counter to human nature (writ large), despite the
   valuable opinion it proffers.

   best

   LFB