 Off-Topic / Debate / 14945
Re: Using Lego to build weapons? (was Re: The Lego Beretta just won't die)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 18:09:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Carsten Schmitz wrote:

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jennifer L. Boger wrote:

yah, I would be one of those people.  I am also pro gun control, and yet I
believe that it's not guns who kill, it's people.  A gun can be used to
protect, and save lives.

Yeah. An a-bomb can too...

Lego was to be meant as a toy, weapons are not.

so no more pirate ships, warships, any military models, wild west,
aquazone(/raiders, etc) classic space, star wars....  I'm sure there's • more
"non-toy" themes, but I get tired of listing them.

These are all fictional or historical themes as you may have noticed.
Show me a LEGO theme that plays in our current time which uses weapons?

I think the romanticism of violence implicit in Pirate, Castle, Wild
West, and Adventurers is far worse than the desire to make as accurate
as possible a model of something which happens to be a weapon, though I
obviously don't actually think it's really all that bad (seeing as my
favorite themes are Pirate and Castle, and I love Evil Stevies Pirate
Game).

But do these themes not represent the battle of "Good" against "Bad" in a
simple way? I'm not sure a *model* gun does that?

Jeff's gun is a model *not* a toy. As a model it is great. It is impressive.
However, I don't want one. What affirmed this was this line from his site:
"Hollow point ammo for maximum stopping power."

There is a valid argument that many kid’s toys are too violent. The way to
fight that is to lobby toy manufacturers, distributors and retailers (good
luck). Individuals may even seek a legislative answer to the problem.
However, giving Jeff a hard time for his rather fantastic model has no real
point. Sure, some may argue it "taints" Lugnet - but I think those people
must be pretty thin skinned if it upsets them all that much. I would suggest
they built a more “positive” model to cancel the perceived harm…

Scott A

Sure, go ahead and play
with LEGO however you like, but please, don't tell others how...  I

See. I understand why you say this. Fact is that I didnt tell anyone how to
play Lego.
I just didnt want to be represented as a member of the AFOL communtiy by a
person
that builds weapons of it because I (and its only my opinion that i state
here) would
not  use Lego for something like that.

If you don't feel this community represents your views, you are free to
express that feeling (in the appropriate forum), though I don't think
the communitity will change (afterall, lugnet.build.military was
recently added). If you do want the community acceptance to change, the
best place to raise the issue is probably either by private e-mail with
the administrators, or in lugnet.admin.general. lugnet.off-topic.debate
is an appropriate place to debate the general idea of using LEGO as a
media to model weapons.