 Marketplace / Theory / 723
Re: Slim Pickings at Target
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 14:00:42 GMT

Mike Walsh wrote:

Ray Sanders wrote in message <386A232E.8C1F287E@gate.net>...

[ ... snipped ... ]

What you speak of seems to be *very* dependent on the particular store
and their philosophy of markdowns. My local WM-sc seems to be of the
mind "don't clearance it until we have tried ever other way to sell it.
Once we start marking down, do it in rapid increments to get it the heck
out of here". Additional markdowns are not affected by how much has
sold, only by *if* there is any remaining stock to be sold. I watched
6332 Command Post Central sequentially drop in price: $48, $42, $36,
$30, $24 & $15 (I took the last two at $15). At each stage they sold one
or two, finally they reached a price that did the deed.

Ray

How long did this process take?

My best recollection is several weeks. I think they were wrangling the
price twice a week or so. The current round (mentioned in .shopping
yesterday) should be most interesting. They have little freed-up shelf
space from xmas. There were two shopping carts of new stuff sitting
there yesterday. They are literaly dumping the old stuff to make room
for the new stuff. There is supposed to be a shelf re-org coming in
January, but in the mean time, they are making do. I'll make visits
every other day to observe and mine.

Ray