 Marketplace / Theory / 705
Re: Slim pickings everwhere (Was: Slim Pickings at Target)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 21:09:44 GMT

A couple of comments:

1. Most large retail chains these days use inventory forecasting software, such
as IBM's INFOREM, that does all sorts of statistical analysis on past sales
trends (per SKU, incidentally) to forecast probable sales.  These forecasts are
turned in to the orders that are sent to the distributor.  An additional twist
on this is when the retailer trusts the distributor enough to give them the keys
to the process.  The vendor then manages the retailer's inventory for them.  Not
sure if TRU or TLC go this far with it, but I am sure they use some sort of
forecasting software to manage this.

Ray Sanders wrote:

<snip>

So the final result of poor forcasting, inventory accumulation and
regional demographics/preferences is that odd 'blips' of stock show up
where you least expect it. Several months back I mentioned about my
run-in with TRUs inventory tracking system and how you 'just cant trust
it'. I've heard other annecdotal tidbits: one store told me the listed
inventory of ~20 purple buckets "probably doesn't exist, because we had
a sidewalk sale and things were pretty confused". Ye gods. What good is
an inventory system if you cannot trust it. What good is an inventory
system if you do not periodically check the shelves and adjust to match
actual inventory.

<snip>

2. TRU, and probably most other retail stores, do an annual inventory sweep and
count to correct the out-of-synch inventory problem.

--

G. Crisp - gcrisp@mindspring.com

"Indian, indian, what did you die for?  Indian says 'Nothing at all.'"
-- Jim Morrison